Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Featured Photographer - Thurston Photographs

What an honor to have Thurston Photographs as the guest judge this week at My Beautifully Chaotic Lifestyle! She won us over with her fun family playing a game at the table that was submitted. Lets learn a little more about her below!!:


1. Tell us a little about yourself (family, hobbies, etc.)

So I've been married almost 15 years, and have 4 awesome kids.  Two boys that are 11 and 10 and two girls, 5 and 3.  It's a busy life!  (I know that's what you're thinking.  :)
We are active in our LDS Church, my boys do scouting, piano and karate.  My girls will start karate this summer but mostly they're just having fun, enjoying life.  I have my Bachelors in Fine Arts Management and worked as a production manager for local theatre companies before starting our family.  I've been a photographer for about 3 years now.

Last summer I suffered an injury to my right eye.  After 3 surgeries and a billion office visits later, I can see about 30-40% out of it.  Which is an awesome miracle that I'm grateful for.  I'm only allowed about 90 minutes of screen time a day, which is hard but has turned into a huge blessing.  I have to work hard to stay within my limit so my internet cruising has been severely limited.  :)  I take more time to nail it in camera so that my post-processing is minimal.  I've turned an 8 hour post production process into 3 hours.  I'm so happy about that!  I've learned to eliminate the crap and shoot what truly matters.



2. What got you started in taking lifestyle images (or photography in general)?

The photographs that get me hot and bothered are the ones that present a universal truth.  Sometimes that's joy in the motherhood journey, sometimes that's the angst and sorrow of time marching on.  When photographs are real and authentic, they really convey something that we can all identify with and that to me, is great art.  For me, that's the lifestyle genre.  When I realized you can let go of perfect eye contact, lighting control, and matching outfits, and create photographs that truly meant something not just to the client but to everyone who saw them, that's when I knew Lifestyle was what inspired me.

3. Any photographers that you look up to?

 I love me some Jennifer Tonetti- Spellman, she really gave me my first, big push.  Because family pictures are what pays the bills, I aspire to be as good as the amazing Wendy Whitacre with Blue Lily.  My best friend, Michelle Jones has captured some images that have brought me to my knees.  She has found honor and validation in documenting the journey of everyday life with special kids.  Talk about inspiring!


4. What is in your camera bag?

I've got a super cute Cheeky Lime bag that gets me tons of compliments (ego stroke!).  In it, I have a Canon 6D, with a 24-105L 4.0 that I use 90% of the time.  The other 10% is the trusty Nifty Fifty 1.8.  My old 7D is my back up with the Tamron 28-75 2.8.  

If you could shoot anybody in the world, anywhere, who and where?

Honestly?  I'd go back in time and document my two sons when they were little and up to crazy antics.  I paid good money for professional photography once a year but I missed the crazy chaos at home.  The way Jonah ran around corners, the way Marcus walked at only 9 months so he was this tiny baby running around on two feet.  That time was such a blur for me and so little of it was captured.  Can't get that time back, dang it.  



Absolutely amazing! 

Please check out more of Thurston Photograph's amazing lifestyle images at any of the links below!






No comments:

Post a Comment