Thursday, May 29, 2014

Featured Photographer: Yellow Brick Road Photography

Such an honor this week to have the super talented Yellow Brick Road Photography as guest judge this week!! Learn more about her below and view some of her amazing work! 


Tell us a little about yourself (family, hobbies, etc.)

Hi! I’m Ashley, a good ol’ Canadian gal, married to a Harley ridin’ tattooed dude and momma to 2 little loud, rough and tumble boys  (4 &1 yrs old). I’m a little bit silly and a whole lotta tall (5’ 11” to be exact).
I enjoy spending time with my guys which likely means watching, playing or talking Hockey. (Yes, we’re Canadian – through and through eh.)  If I actually score a few ‘mom moments’ I like to pick up props from Antique stores (much to my husband chagrin) and I may have a small addiction to Reality TV (C’mon who doesn’t love a little American Idol!?) and I have a serious sweet tooth.


What got you started in taking lifestyle images (or photography in general)?

I initially got interested in photography at 10 while living in Switzerland for a few months with my family. I still look back on those photos – I’m so glad I took them! As I got older my dad made me a teeny tiny dark room in our laundry room/spare washroom and I would develop black and white film on top of the washer and dryer. I finally picked the camera back up again when I was pregnant with my 1st son & managed to barter with my Hubby. He could buy a giant flat screen TV as long as I got a “big girl” Camera… 4.5 yrs later I am consumed by photography – it is absolutely my creative outlet and I love learning and reading everything I can about it on youtube, blogs, magazines, workshops, online courses, etc.
Like many moms, my love of lifestyle photography started when my son was born and I was trying to capture and document all his “firsts”. I am excited to offer this style of photography to my clients and help them capture those very special & fleeting moments.



  Any photographers that you look up to?

 Any photographers that you look up to?
I absolutely love and follow the work of many photogs, some may even call it “friendly stalking” ; )
Some of my local Inspiration: One for the wall www.oneforthewall.ca , Hulahoop Photographywww.hulahoopphotography.com
Not so local: Leah Cook, Kerry Varnum, The Paper Deer Photography, Jean Smith, Bobbi + Mike... I could go on!


What is in your camera bag?

I love my 50 1.4! i also have the 85 1.8 & 40 2.8 in my Jo Totes gracie bag along with extra batteries, memory cards,  business cards, gum, lens bling from Happy Acres Photography, stickers for the little ones, expo disc & lens cleaner & wipes.



If you could shoot anybody in the world, anywhere, who and where?

Really I’d just love to shoot my 3 guys without a major battle and melt downs! Lol Why is it that photographing your own family is the hardest? (But let’s be honest if it was an all expense paid trip with anyone - anywhere... I’m taking David Becham to Fiji for a bathing suit shoot! Sorry dear…. ;) )



Absolutely great! Loved the openness that was given in the answers (and btw, us tall chicks got to stick together, I am also very tall at 6 foot 1!)

You can check out more of her absolutely amazing work at:



No comments:

Post a Comment